Being a fur parent is a great responsibility. It requires one to be patient, caring and understanding. Part of being a responsible fur parent is ensuring your puppy is safe and secure.
One of the best ways to protect your puppy is by using a harness. Harnesses are great for controlling the movements of the puppy, and they also prevent injury and keep the pup safe in dangerous situations.
In this guide, we will provide fur parents with the information they need to fit and harness their puppy correctly.
What Are the Benefits of Harness Training on a Puppy?
Harness training provides many benefits to both you and your pup and can help ensure a healthy and happy relationship. Here are some of the top benefits of harness training on a puppy.
1. Control: A harness can help you maintain control over your pup and prevent them from running off or escaping. This is especially important if you have a high-energy pup or one that tends to be easily distracted.
2. Safety: Harnesses provide extra protection for your pup, especially when they are off-leash. If your pup is in a harness, it is much easier to keep track of them and make sure they are not in danger.
3. Comfort: Harnesses can be more comfortable for your pup than a collar. This is especially true for smaller pups or those with short hair. The harness also helps to distribute the weight of your pup’s leash evenly, which can reduce strain on their neck and back.
4. Training: Harness training is an effective way to teach your pup basic obedience commands such as sit, stay, and come. The harness helps to provide a connection between you and your pup and can help them understand what you expect of them.
5. Bonding: Harness training is also a great way to bond with your pup. The process of putting the harness on and taking it off can be a great opportunity for you and your pup to bond and have some quality time together.
When Should a Puppy Begin Harness Training?
When it comes to harness training, the earlier you start, the better. Puppies are naturally curious and eager to learn, so it’s best to introduce them to the harness as soon as possible. Generally, puppies should begin harness training at around 8-10 weeks. At this age, your pup should be able to wear a harness for short periods of time comfortably.
When introducing your pup to the harness, it’s important to make sure that the fit is correct. A harness that is too tight can be uncomfortable for your pup and can cause chafing or rubbing. A harness that is too loose can also be a problem, as it can be a choking hazard. The best way to ensure that the harness fits correctly is to have it professionally fitted by a pet store or vet.
Once your pup is comfortable wearing the harness, you can begin the actual training process. Start by having your pup wear the harness around the house and getting them used to the sensation of wearing the harness. You can then progress to taking your pup outside on walks and teaching them basic commands like “heel” and “sit”.
What Style of Harness Should a Puppy Wear?
There are several different styles of harnesses available, and it’s important to choose one that is comfortable and secure.
A front-clip harness is a popular option for puppies, as it allows you to easily control your pup while walking. This type of harness attaches to your pup’s chest and wraps around the neck. This style of harness is also beneficial for puppies who are still learning to walk on a leash, as it can help to discourage pulling.
Another style of harness that is popular for puppies is a step-in harness. This style of harness has a loop that your pup steps into, which then buckles around the chest. This type of harness is easier to put on and take off and offers more control than a front-clip harness.
Harness training is an important part of teaching your pup to be a well-behaved and obedient companion. Starting early is key to ensuring that your pup has a positive experience with the harness and is able to learn quickly and easily.
If you’re ready to start harness training, shop at Love Harlso. We offer cute dog collars and harnesses that you and your pup will surely love. Explore our collection and place an order today!